Sunday, April 15, 2012

Renovation = magic in slow motion!

Hi everyone!

Be warned there is no sewing in this post!

This morning has been spent cleaning floors and decluttering junk from everywhere! While it all looked quite good and clean I thought I would take some photos and show you how the tiles look.

I will start with some before photos that are a bit scary!

This is the kitchen that was in the house when we moved here….sort of….we had redone the splashback and taken out some cupboards to fit in the dishwasher and put all that junk on the bench before this pic was taken!

Oh and we had redone the ceiling….imagine the timber cupboards on the ceiling - That is what it looked like! Yuck!

Then the kitchen was taken out, we built in the hallway to make a walk in pantry and walls were removed, rebuilt and rearranged!

All this work in the last 2 photos happened in the 2nd half of 2010. So, believe me this did not happen over night!

We moved here in November 2004. The extension for hubbies parents was started in 2007….everyone hoped it would be finished before BW was born in July 2008 but it took longer….I think it was 2009 when their part of the extension was completely finished.

We are still working on finishing our place off. This is what it looks like now!

P1020518

The kitchen (cabinets were put in November 2010)….just needs a few finishing touches now…painting and tile edges.

P1020515

This is the lounge and front door, which used to be the dining room.  The cathedral ceiling was done as part of the extension and this room was made about 4 metres longer.

A few more finishing touches to do here…the linen cupboard needs doors, walls need painting and skirting boards.

P1020517

This is the dining room, which used to be the sitting room with the fireplace where the bakers stand is now. Confused?!

You can still see a lot of the old house here – the paintwork and architrave which will all be updated so a bit more work needs to be done at this end of the house.

The doorway into the kitchen is where the stove is in the very first picture…because we built the hallway in to make the pantry the only way to get through to the dining room and bathroom etc is through the kitchen so we have tried to keep it wide and open.

There is still lots to do – inside and outside! The sewing and office area still has a bit of tiling to be done….

Really are renovations ever truly finished? I hope so….but I know it will be a while yet!

blog signature

7 comments:

Oops-Lah said...

Your home is looking lovely; now I can picture where you live ;). Do you have your in laws living with you? How is that working out?

Karen said...

I do completely understand the long term planning thing. I thought that it was only me who got to suffer through reno's that take forever. We demolished our kitchen and laundry in 2004 with the intention of having it all completed by Christmas 2005. I worked off a second dining table as my kitchen bench and the old laundry tub was my sink. The washing machine was in the kitchen beside the sink. I had no stove or oven for 3 years. Everything was cooked in the zapper, electric frying pan or slow cooker. Bare concrete floors and naked stud walls were the order of the day for a long time. It was finally going back together in 2010 and in 2011 we got flooded and have started again but this time it has been so much quicker. It is almost all done and just the little things left to do and I am a very happy vegie too.
p.s. I do love your tiles.

Karen said...

Oh and I am trying desperately to convince Him that drawers in the kitchen are so much better. I have bookmarked this page to show him.

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

It's looking good Jess. Sewing room next - woo hoo!!

Sharon - Lilabelle Lane said...

Wow you have been busy, just think, the sewing room is getting closer :o)

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I would hate to remodel, especially for that long. I ran things for my inlaws during part of their remodel while they were on vacation for a few weeks. No fun. Hope it all is finished soon.

Wendy said...

Your home is looking beautiful, I love the changes you have made.